Lewiston Morning Tribune - July 17, 1956
Orofino Matron Taken By Death
OROFINO - Mrs. Elizabeth B. Snyder, 80, a resident of this area for nearly 70 years, died Monday evening at 9:05 at Orofino General Hospital. Death was attributed to infirmities.
She had been receiving treatment for diabetes and a month ago suffered a broken hip.
Her husband, the late Sampson Snyder operated a telephone company here and constructed the building which houses the Frank Gaffney Garage. He died here Sept. 6, 1945.
Mrs. Snyder was born Nov. 25, 1875, at Postsville, Neb. She lived on a farm near there until moving with her parents to Weippe in 1887. Her father homesteaded in that area.
Married in 1892
She married at Fraser Nov. 2, 1892. Mr. Snyder taught school there several years and also farmed. They moved to Pierce in 1900, where they operated the General Mercantile Store until 1904. That year they returned to Fraser where he operated a sawmill until 1909.
They moved to Orofino that year and he owned the Clearwater Telephone Line until selling facilities to the Interstate Telephone Co. in 1923.
Four years later he established Snyder Motors, selling to Gaffney and Harold Thompson in 1938.
Mrs. Snyder was a member of the Orofino Methodist Church and a past matron of the Orofino Eastern Star Chapter.
Survivors include three daughters, Mrs. J. M. Perkins of Weippe, Mrs. Lolo Morrison of Palouse and Mrs. Pearl Hadley of Seattle; a son, Eldon of Orofino; a sister, Mrs. Frank Harrison of Sacramento; and a brother, Howard Clark of Stanfield, Ore.
The body is at Gilbert's Funeral Home. Arrangements are undecided.
Transcribed by Jo Frederiksen
[Return to Obituary page]