Lewiston Morning Tribune - February 20, 1998

Glen F. Newman, 76, Cavendish farmer

      CAVENDISH -- Glen Fredrick Newman, 76, a longtime farmer, died Thursday of complications of emphysema at his home in Cavendish.

     He was born Jan. 6, 1922, to Fredrick and Ida Meilke Newman at Cameron and was raised on the family farm.

     He attended school at Cameron and graduated from Kendrick High School in 1940. He was active in sports, playing basketball, football and baseball. He was a catcher on the baseball team and was a four-year letterman.

     He married Julia Rose Pitcher Dec. 21, 1943, at Silverdale, Wash.

     He was in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II and was a prisoner of war in Germany when his plane was shot down. He was a belly gunner on a B-24 bomber and was awarded the Purple Heart and the POW medal.

     He was a school board member of Joint School District No. 171 for 9 years and was instrumental in the building of Orofino High School and Timberline High School. He served as chairman of the board several years.

     He enjoyed hunting, fishing, his grandchildren, sports and being outdoors. He also enjoyed tooling leather and collecting guns.

     He is survived by his wife at the family home; a daughter, Janis Nelsen of Orofino; a son, Cary Newman of Cavendish; two brothers, Harry Newman of Cameron and Wallace Newman of Lewiston; and eight grandchildren.

     A sister died previously.

     A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Pine Hills Funeral Chapel in Orofino.

     The family suggests donations may be made to Clearwater Home Health Hospice, 301 Cedar, Orofino 83544.

Kendrick Gazette, May 24, 1945

Sgt. Glen Newman Heard From

      Mr. and Mrs. Fred W. Newman, Cameron, have received a telegram from their daughter-in-law, Mrs. Glen F. Newman, stating that she had received a telegram from her husband, Sgt. Glen F.

     Newman, a prisoner of war in Germany since Nov. 16, 1944 -- saying he hopes to come home soon.

     They also received a letter from Glen, dated May 4, in Germany, saying he was liberated by the British, and mighty glad to get something to eat after marching from one camp to another for three months.

Transcribed by Jo Frederiksen

[Return to Obituary page]