J. Choate Helped Repair Pearl Harbor During WWII

      TEAKEAN - Joseph H. Choate, 72, who died Saturday morning at his Teakean home, helped build the first atomic pile at Hanford, Wash., and had helped in repairing Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, after it was bombed in 1941.

      He was born July 25, 1889, at Teakean, the son of Fredrick and Mamie Choate.

      His parents were pioneer settlers of the Teakean area. He attended schools there. Later he was in reserve officer training at the University of Idaho, Moscow, during World War I.

      He was married to Alma O'Hara about 1920. She died in 1937.

      He farmed in the Teakean area during the 1930's. Then he began work for the U.S. Forest Service, building camps, lookouts and ranger stations.

      Later he joined Walter Huffman in the home construction business in the Orofino area. During World War II he worked for Morrison-Knudson Co., Inc., repairing bomb damage at Pearl Harbor.

      Later he helped build the first atomic pile at Hanford, Wash.

      He returned to Orofino, where he was self-employed in the home construction trade.

      He was well known as a professional cabinet-maker.

      He was a charter member of the Evergreen Grange. He designed and supervised the construction of the present Grange hall.

      He was married to Norma Packwood June 25, 1968, at Cream Ridge, near Cavendish.

      He is survived by his wife at the Teakean home; a son, Leo Choate, Silver Spring, Md.; three brothers, Edward Choate, Lewiston, Cecil Choate, Cavendish, and Orval Choate, Teakean; a sister, Mrs. Evelyn Sasola, Sequim, Wash.; two step-sons, Richard Marshall, Cavendish, and Floyd Marshall, Lewiston; two step-daughters, Mrs. Penny Olmstead, Lewiston, and Mrs. Madeline Umphenour, Kamiah, and two grandchildren.

      The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Gilbert's Funeral Chapel, Orofino, with the Rev. Ronald Ozier of the Cavendish United Methodist Church officiating. Burial will be at Teakean Cemetery.

      (Note: The spelling of Cream Ridge was corrected during transcription)

Lewiston Morning Tribune , April 24, 1972

Transcribed by Jo Frederiksen, 2014

[Return to Obituary page]